You may have heard it before, but we can’t stress this enough…
If you are serious about investing in an effective search engine optimization (SEO) strategy to boost traffic to your website, you have to conduct keyword research first. And being able to utilize the best keyword research tools out there, will save you a lot of time and your site will start to rank higher in search engines much faster.
How do we know?
We are Optymizer, your favorite online marketing company. And we provide digital marketing solutions for our clients all over the world! Our team of experts is constantly working to stay on top of the latest marketing trends and technologies. We’ve been in this business for a long time and we’ve seen first-hand what works and what doesn’t when it comes to the most effective keyword research tools for SEO.
So, what are the best keyword research tools?
First things first, before we reveal the best keyword research tools available, we need to first go over some keyword basics.
What Is A Keyword?
Simply put, a keyword is a certain word or phrase that you type into a search engine to find more information on that topic. And the search engine will then rank the results in order of what it feels are most relevant to you.
As an example, let’s say you want to learn more about search engine optimization so you go to your computer and type “SEO” into a search engine like Google. “SEO” is the single keyword that Google will use determine which websites are relevant to you. The problem with single keywords is that is they are very broad and you may not find exactly what you are looking for (notice that there are 520,000,000 results for this single keyword).
Long Tail Keywords:
To find more specific results, it’s best to use long tail keywords. You’ll have fewer results to choose from that will be more targeted to what you really want to know. And that means you won’t have to waste time combing through irrelevant websites.
See for yourself…
What does all this have to do you with you?
Well, as a business owner looking to improve your organic rankings in search results, you need to understand how your customers are searching online. And the way to do that is with keyword research for both single and long tail keywords.
Why Is Keyword Research So Important For SEO?
According to Rachel Hopkins, Operations Manager at Optymizer;
“Keyword research is the most important SEO strategy that influences all of the other things we do.”
The Top 4 Reasons Why Keyword Research Is So Important
- Develop an effective content strategy: Before you can optimize the content on your web pages, you need to understand which specific words and phrases are the most important for your site to rank higher.
- Rank higher than your competition: If you know what keywords your competitors are ranking for, you can take the opportunity to create unique content that will help you stand out.
- Understand your target audience: Think about it, conducting keyword research allows you to create content based on what your target audience is actually searching for.
- Create attention grabbing title tags and meta descriptions: You won’t be able to properly optimize your page’s title tags and meta descriptions in search results without including the right keywords. And since this is the first thing your customers will see, it’s pretty important.
Ok, we can all agree that keyword research is important to a successful SEO strategy. But what are the most efficient and effective ways to conduct keyword research?
The Best Keyword Research Tools For SEO
So, now you know why keyword research is so important to succeed at online marketing. Now, let’s go over some of the best keyword research tools out there.
Most people are aware of Google’s Keyword Research Planner. But, we promised more. So, here are our top 5 favorite keyword research tools guaranteed to make a huge difference in your SEO strategy.
- SECockpit: Get more in-depth information regarding search trends and traffic estimates.
- MOZ Keyword Explorer: Known for being incredibly simple to use, this tool provides tons of exclusive features that allow you to prioritize the best target keywords for your business.
- SEMrush: This tool actually shows you the keywords that your competitors are ranking for.
- Keyword Snatcher: This is the perfect tool if you are looking to find a ton of ideas for keywords.
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer: One of the many benefits of this tool is that you will get information on the number of clicks that you can expect.
Perhaps one of the best (and often forgotten) ways to determine which keywords your customers are searching for is available right there on your Google search results page. It’s fast, easy, reliable and free!
All you have to do is type a keyword in the query and wait for Google to fill in the blanks.
Sometimes if you scroll further down the page, Google will provide additional words and phrases that people are actually searching for.
And then, scroll down to the bottom of the page where Google provides you with even more suggestions that are related to your initial search term.
To sum up:
We hope you enjoyed learning more about the importance of keyword research. And, now you know a few of our favorite keyword research tools that we use to provide our clients with the most effective SEO strategy possible.
Be sure you check out the Optymizer blog for more awesome online marketing tips! And you can visit our website to get more information about our premium SEO services and all of our custom online marketing solutions.
And for all you other marketers out there, we would love to hear from you too: what keyword research tools will you try first?
Which keyword research tools will you try first?
Bonus – Learn about more awesome SEO Tools For Online Marketing!